action | anniversary
global day of action
things you can do
Bard Bhopal Commemoration
Thursday, December 2, 2004 - Friday, December 3, 2004
On December 2-3 1984 poisonous methyl-isocyante gas leaked from a Union Carbide Chemical plant in Bhopal, India, killing thousands and permanently disabling hundreds of thousands. Twenty years later, justice has still not been served. These evenings of events to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Bhopal Gas disaster will include a screening of the feature film Bhopal Express, a reading of a student play written about Bhopal, a photo exhibition of photos from Bhopal, a teach-in about Bhopal, and discussion.
Contact: Samira Desai
other commemoration ideas
- Plan a Candle Lighting/Memorial Ceremony– Organize a candlelight vigil to pay tribute to the victims of the Rwandan genocide.
- Invite a survivor, a poet, or an activist to speak.
- Offer an "open-mike" for people to share their thoughts.
- Coordinate a Moment of Silence– Coordinate a moment in the day when professors, students, staff and the entire community take a moment to reflect on thedisaster and remember its victims.
- Hold a Series of Readings– Invite students, staff, faculty, survivors and community members to read poetry, essays or stories in a central location in the school.
- Create a Memorial – Invite students, faculty, staff and community members to display artwork, plant a tree, or dedicate a memorial (temporary or lasting) in a central location at your institution.
- Set up an Information Table– Set up a table in a central location at your institution with information about Bhopal
- Bring a film, speaker or photo exhibit.